Saturday, June 30, 2007

The Birds


I had two hot dates tonight. It turned out to be a night of building castles, chasing tiny naked bums into a dark-blue-colored-water bubble-bath bathtub, reading Dora the Explorer's "Halloween Candy Hunt" and "All About Scabs" (coincidentally by the same publisher of "Everyone Poops" and my personal favorite, "Breasts"), and making a delectable dessert for three (1 part vanilla ice cream, 2 parts blue sprinkles... literally). I also magically turned into a human jungle-gym for most of the night. Let's just say I'm a good date.

Anyways, after a rousing night with my two little boyfriends, I decided to drive down to Marina del Rey. On my way there, I passed through the intersection of Overland and National. Every time I pass this little intersection, I can't help but smile. Next time you're there, look up. There is a bird hanging from a wire, counter-weighted by a pad-lock. I've seen these little birds all over Los Angeles this past year, but tonight, my curiosity was insatiable.

Who's the artist? What's the meaning behind these little things? More questions kept filling my mind. This is what happens when I see art; especially by guerrilla artists. I love it. A minor in art history will do that to you I suppose.

After hanging out at the beach for a while, I drove home (and dodged bullets at the Blue Wave Car Wash---not kidding) and put my google goggles on. Yes, that's right. After intense google-searching, I clicked around and found my answers... well, a couple of them. I'm obviously not the first person who had these questions. Even Keith posted a really awesome photo this week of a bird! Who knew they were the new hip thing to blog about? I'm just glad I got the memo. (PS, I'm stealing the photo from Keith's site... it's just that cool).

If you're interested, here are a couple links.

The Interview, "The berd is the werd", Dove è la colomba?


PS- "The production of guerrilla art is focused on cause and effect, not the material piece itself. It aims to produce an effect within the minds of those people that live within the environment being altered. It does not necessarily aim to produce art that is meaningful in itself." This quote brought to you by my friend, wikipedia.

PSS- If you like this kind of stuff, check out Spencer Cross and Shepard Fairey and fiveTHOUSAND!.

4 comments:

Mark Reeder said...

Cool - I had been wondering about those little birds. My favorite guerrilla artist is Invader. He creates these great little mosaics of video game characters and puts them up in cities all over the world. His biggest project is with Space Invaders tiles (hence the name Invader). Here's a map of the Los Angeles invasion. Many of the pieces are still intact.

Evan said...

I just want to know if Jeff and JimBo fit in the bathtub-of-dark-blue-water together or not! And I knew that JimBo was a fan of Everyone Poops, but which one is the Dora fan? :)

J Crew double date nights always sound super hot... I mean, Human Jungle Gym sounds a little kinky...

Morgan said...

There is a new berd up at the intersection of Lincoln and the 10 right between the Exxon and the Chevron station. I saw it today for the first time. I think it went up last night.

Jessica said...

Mark-- Invader looks pretty cool. I'm going to keep an eye out for those little video game characters now.

EvRo-- Very funny.

Morgan-- Awesome, I'll look for it next time I'm over there! I found another berd at the intersection of Beverly Glenn and Olympic... I think it's pink. Check it out.