Saturday, July 21, 2007

Living with Charity toward All

I'm nerdy. Everyone knows it, but this proves it: Yes, it's true. I subscribe to daily uplifting emails from the LDS church for Young Single Adults called "LDS Gems". And yes, I actually read them almost every day. This past week I've been incredibly busy, so they've all been deleted immediately without second thought. Tonight I was just about to banish my 'Daily Gem', when I read the subject line and decided it could be worth my time. I figured it wouldn't hurt... let's be honest... it was 3:15am and I just got home from a night out on the town. What's an extra 20 seconds?

It surprised me... to say the least. This short email was an answer to a prayer and problem that I've been pondering (and festering about) all week. I didn't realize I had such a problem until I read this little message from President Hinckley. This was exactly what I needed to hear.
Gems for Young Single Adults
Living with Charity toward All
---------------------------------------------------
"We must live as true followers of the Christ, with charity toward all, returning good for evil, teaching by example the ways of the Lord, and accomplishing the vast service He has outlined for us."

(Gordon B. Hinckley, The Dawning of a Brighter Day," Ensign, May 2004)
I realize this phrase is trite, but the Lord really does work in mysterious ways. Email?! Sure! Why not? (Remind me to tell you the story of how Gloria Estefan was an immediate and shocking answer to my fervent prayer when I was 17. You laugh, but it's the truth. I swear!)

Hallelujah for a little insight, good counsel, and simple reminders to us all.

2 comments:

Molly Bice-Jackson said...

Sweet Jessica Bean--
Thank you so much for sharing that! I love it that you aren't ashamed to write about your feelings, your struggles, your thoughts and answers. Reading this today is EXACTLY what I needed. Thank you, again.

What a gal!

And I would LOVE to hear your Gloria Estefan story. I am laughing now just thinking about it.

Breelzebub said...

Way to pass on the good word.