Monday, June 16, 2008

You may call me Iron Chef.


Sara, Trisha, Julia, Kristen, Jessica, Paul

A couple weeks ago I was asked to be one of 5 lead chef's in the upcoming Iron Chef activity at church. I was out to win and nothing could stop me.

The instructions were as follows:
-Bring at least 1 ingredient you think will help you win the competition.
-Once teams are formed 2 people from each team will have about 30 seconds to grab ingredients from the supplied ingredients. Then we'll reveal the secret ingredient and the competition will begin.
-You'll have 15 minutes to make your dish for 3 judges.
-Judges will base the winner on creativity, taste and use of the secret ingredient. There are prizes for 1st & 2nd place.
All of us would be in the gym and we only had 15 minutes, thus we weren't actually "cooking" anything. What could it be? My best bet: dessert.

Like the other contestants, I didn't know what the "secret ingredient" would be, so I came prepared. I brought with me:

-mixing bowls
-a can opener
-display trays
-my good knives
-a cutting board
-food grater
-4 cute margarita glasses
-Hawaiian napkins
-cookie sheets
-assorted food coloring
-white frosting
-chocolate frosting
-a set of 6 cake decorating tips and bags
-assorted sprinkles
-Life cereal
-Hershey's chocolate bar
-Twix bar
-Snickers bar
-marshmallows
-angel food cake
-strawberry glaze
-strawberries
-blueberries
-raspberries
-bananas
-can of mandarin oranges
-can of peaches
-cream cheese
-Eagle Brand condensed milk
-plain yogurt

Not only did I bring all of these ingredients, I laid them all out on a beautiful purple table-cloth. I brought in a little team spirit with Hawaiian decorations and lei's for everyone on my team. I might have given the 3 judges lei's too. I had to make them feel included!

I came prepared and determined to win. As soon as the other 4 lead chef's witnessed 'the oil in my lamp', they quickly accused me of cheating. Not so... I reminded them of the rules: "Bring at least 1 ingredient you think may help you win the competition." Needless to say, they didn't like that comment. I can't blame them, they knew they were going to lose.

The bell rang and we ran to the provided ingredients table. I picked up some whipped topping and Teddy Grahams. The secret ingredient was announced: JELL-O. I died laughing. What a typical Mormon food... and perfect for my dessert-inspired creation! I ran to the stage and grabbed a pre-made bowl of red Jello.

My team and I set to work. 15 minutes later we had 3 incredible Fruit & Jello Parfaits in my margarita glasses! We called them "Love on the Beach".

Layer 1- blueberries and strawberries
Layer 2- bananas with strawberry glaze
Layer 3- red Jello (I still don't know if it was strawberry or cherry flavored)
Layer 4- raspberries
Layer 5- whipped topping encircled with blueberries
Layer 6- Two Teddy Grahams sitting underneath a little paper umbrella with chocolate Hershey's bar shavings (the sand) surrounding them

It was perfect. No cheating necessary.

The 5 teams presented their creations to the judges one by one. Team Jessica with their cute presentation in glasses with a Hawaiian inspired table setting, the other 4 teams with their disasters on paper plates. I told the panel of judges that we had angel food cake as one of the layers... whoops. In my haste, I forgot we had nixed that plan--it didn't taste quite right. Oh well. They still loved Team Jessica's creation the best. WE WON!!!

The prize was a really cool wooden spatula for each member of the team, engraved with "Los Angeles 1st Ward – IRON CHEF 1st Place".

Someone once asked me if I was competitive. My answer- Only when I want to be.

[Kudos to the activities committee and Carrie for putting on such a great activity. They even had a Movie on the Green showing of "Back to the Future" afterwards.]

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Jess! Your team was amazing, it's true. Ya'll made jello delectable (and it was cute too!). Thus, the win was well deserved (although the jello chasers were quite inventive...if not tasty...)

Jenny said...

way to go!! haha i shouldn't have read this blog.. now i want one. or five...

p.s. i had to stop watching the food network because i started cooking everything i saw on there haha.. i mean, i know you're supposed to gain weight when you're pregnant but.. it was getting out of control.