Saturday, December 22, 2007

The Vegas Bowl

I drove with Vic to SLC today. We made it just in time to watch the BYU-UCLA game! My dad, mom, and two brothers joined my grandmother and uncle's family in screaming for a good 2 hours or so. I was torn in my loyalties. I've grown up a BYU football fan my entire life. Both of my parents graduated from there, I was born a BYU baby--for heaven's sake. But let's face it, UCLA writes my paycheck. Do I really want to jinx that while I'm waiting for 2 checks to come through from them? Hmm. I realized I was still a Cougar at heart the minute the game began. We were elated most of the game... until the last couple minutes... and with 3 seconds left, BYU tipped a field goal attempt by UCLA and won the game by one point!

The reactions were priceless. My dad jumped off the couch faster than I did when I realized my house was burning, screamed, and jumped up and down; my grandmother had a slightly delayed reaction—but when she figured out what was going on, she threw her popcorn-brimmed bowl up into the air and onto everyone in the room... which then proceeded into an all-out popcorn fight amongst all the ADULTS in the room; and let's just say I lost my voice after screaming so loud! Yes, it was a Kodak and MasterCard Moment in one... unforgettable and priceless. What a combo.


UCLA wide receiver Dominique Johnson gets hit by BYU defensive back Ben Criddle during the first half of the Las Vegas Bowl football game Saturday, Dec. 22, 2007, in Las Vegas. Johnson dropped the ball after the hit, and the pass was incomplete. (AP Photo/Sam Morris)

4 comments:

cheyney webb said...

What a game. I was slightly torn too between UCLA and BYU. I think Ryan would disown me if I cheered for UCLA. But really, that was a MIRACLE. Merry Christmas, Jess

Ryan said...

I watched it with Cheyn. She acts like she doesn't like the Cougs sometimes, but usually cheers as loud as I do.

I can't believe nine more months till BYU football again. At least there are a few fun games to watch around new years. Go Georgia, and go LSU.

Jim Cunliffe said...

I'll be honest, I wanted both teams to loose in that game. But really jessica, your loyalties? The coach doesn't sign your paycheck. My dad is a great example, He's a die hard Ute fan, and works at the Church Office Building :)

I might like byu cause i'm mormon, and I might like ucla cause they're Pac-10. But really I'm a Ute and a Trojan and didn't care that much.

Kim, Byron H & M said...

What I wouldn't give for a good popcorn fight, that sounds awesome.

As a Brugar, I love BYU-UCLA games. Either way I win!

Congrats again on being a Bachelor, I hope the stress in your life has gone down considerably. Can't wait to catch up with you!