Saturday, December 15, 2007

Short and sweet

I had been unusually depressed and lonely a couple weeks ago. It was awful. I babysat that night—hoping to distract myself from the all-consuming misery and woe I felt. Nothing particularly special happened as I got the two little boys bathed and ready for bed. The oldest fell asleep quickly, but the two year old needed a little more attention. I laid down near him and he scooted up next to me. I closed my eyes and realized I was still utterly depressed. I wanted to cry. Then a tiny little hand popped out from under his blanket and lovingly rubbed my arm until he fell asleep. It was so sweet and innocent. I immediately thanked my Heavenly Father for such a perfect little tender mercy, while wiping away the tears.

I'm not one to share personal things like that, but for some reason I keep thinking about it. This little experience reminds me of the movie Crash. It's one of only three movies that I can say changed the way I view my life and those around me. I highly recommend watching this film if you haven't done so already. The edited version is regularly shown on FX. Moving at the speed of life, we are bound to collide with each other.

2 comments:

Molly Bice-Jackson said...

What a tender story. Thank you for sharing this, Jessica. I have had many moments like this in my life and marvel at what a miracle and what an impact tiny gestures from tiny people can have. (And I guess it hasn't always been tiny people...)

cheyney webb said...

Thank you so much for sharing! It brought tears to my eyes. Gotta love bishop's kids!