Friday, September 5, 2008

Surprise Phone Calls

Emely, Sara and I at the Glendale YSA Conference a couple weeks ago.

This was last photo taken before getting SUPER SICK. I was sooooo sick! After A LOT of praying Saturday night, I was able to finally get a couple hours of sleep, get ready for church in the morning, and take 10-15 minutes to prepare my RS lesson before I had to give it. The lesson wasn't that easy either... it was on "Words of Hope and Consolation at the Time of Death". Thankfully I had prepared a little by emailing 3 close friends about their recent experiences and had those printed out. I wanted die while giving the lesson, but I made it through fairly well and went home to crash on the couch for the next 3 days. No joke. I went to the doctor after having a 101+ degree temperature for 4 days in a row. When I got there, I just cried. At this point I hadn't eaten or had anything to drink in over 72 hours. He told me to go straight to the ER to get some fluids in me. I honestly didn't have the strength. I barely made it home. Kami came over and brought Gatorade. It was my saving grace. Slowly I went back to work and got over this craziness.

Then I got a phone call. And a voice message.

The CDC wanted to talk to me. Huh? And the LA County Health Department? It seems that my lab results came back positive for Salmonella poisoning. No wonder I felt like crap. Literally. :) I spent over 45 min on the phone with the CDC answering questions about anything and everything you could think of. There's a 72-hour incubation period before symptoms show. So now I get to go back and figure out exactly what I ate that week and where. Then the County Health Department came to my house. Wow, who knew I was so important? Surprisingly, my doctor was the last one to call and tell me what was going on.

It's sad when the state and federal gov't has faster response times than my own personal doctor. And I pay extra to have a PPO. Hmm.

4 comments:

Darci said...

When Kami told us we were all so shocked! Let alone that now you have had it 3 times!!! Who has ever heard of that? So sorry.Next time go to the hospital.
I would be so mad at my doctor, I think I would be yelling at him.

cheyney webb said...

Oh no! That is horrible. My friend is a doctor who just started working for the CDC. She gets sent on trips at a moments notice for outbreaks. I hope you are feeling better!

Renee said...

Oh Jess!! I'm so sorry!! That sounds terrible!! I once had a communicable disease (campy...not as fun as the name might suggest) that also involved a visit from the public health nurse and a trip to the grocery store for gatorade in which I almost passed out before obtaining necessary liquids (my roommate at the time obviously wasn't as nice as kami). I totally feel your pain and am SO glad you are feeling better!

Jenifer said...

I am so sorry that happened to you. I wish you would have gone to the ER (my specialty) They could have gotten you feeling better faster than with gatorade alone. There is nothing like having two or three liters infused. It can do wonders for a person. So glad you are feeling better. Hugs.... Jenifer