Monday, July 14, 2008

The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle


Set in 1832, this sea story begins with a warning to the reader: "Not every 13-year-old girl is accused of murder, brought to trial, and found guilty." Charlotte Doyle is a spunky, intelligent American girl whose English education has shaped her to be a lady. No wonder that, from the moment she boards a merchant ship headed for home, she feels out of place. She's the only passenger, her cabin's a dark hole, and the captain's name terrifies burly dock workers.

This was my favorite book when I was 11 years old. I came across my battered copy of it just a couple weeks ago while reorganizing my book shelves. It brought back memories of reading and rereading it until 3 or 4 o'clock in the morning. I can still remember my dad coming in and turning off my light without warning and saying, "Let the hero suffer." It would make me furious! But now, it's a little funny.

As a child, I was an avid reader. I read for hours each night. On top of that, I wrote in my journal every single day for years upon end. What happened to me? Now I play Sudoku until my eyes cross and I force myself to turn the lights out, but then I just end up dreaming about where that stupid #5 belongs. And when was the last time I wrote in my journal? Good question. I don't actually remember.

Maybe it's time for a hobby reevaluation. I've heard the Twilight series of books are great, but I don't want to be cliché in my reading. Is that lame? Probably.

8 comments:

Maxine Parrish said...

I was/am exactly the same way! What happened to our industrious pursuits?? So sad. But seriously, maybe you should pick up a copy of Twilight, but be prepared to read all three (and soon to be four) within 3-4 days. I may have slightly neglected my child and husband while I was reading those books - too good to put down! (Here's my warning though: S. Meyer is a great storyteller, not a great writer per se. Still worth it, though!)

Kirsten said...

That was my FAVORITE book! I'm totally serious. When Mark told me about your post last night I about freaked out. I used to read all the time too. And write in my journal. Now, there are just too many other things to go I guess. I haven't written in my journal in more than a year. I just use the blog I guess...and write in Brit's now. Maybe I used to have more drama that I needed to vent or something.

Allana said...

Your blog inspired me to stop finding *random* things to look up online on my unemployment day and update my journal (long-neglected) and continue on Book 3 of Harry Potter, which doesn't need to wait until the next reception job to be continued... (I used to draw and play piano for hours on end... where did that go? stupid technology...)

Deidre said...

That's awesome! I read like that as a kid, too. My favorites were "After the Dancing Days" and "Under The Tamarack Tree", if I remember correctly. I also have volumes of diaries, but now my blog will have to count. You brought me back 20 years or so. Thanks!

Julia said...

I am also a frequent reader of this book in my past years. But it's reading frequency was surpassed by The Witch of Blackbird Pond, my all time children's book favorite. Amen on the finding time for old hobbies. I should join you in that pursuit.

Renee said...

Am I the only young girl who's never heard of this book? I think I've missed out...maybe I'll have to find myself a copy. I agree that I spend WAY too much time doing useless and meaningless things. But, I also try to still squeeze in my beloved hobbies...which leaves me sleep deprived and lost.

Kami said...

Renee, I have NEVER heard of this book either, so don't feel too bad! It's funny because I was a very unproductive child and never read any books that I wasn't forced to by school and now I read all the time and finish at least a few books a month. Start again, books are wonderful! As for the journal...I never write in that. It's mostly just a ranting of break ups, the only time I ever seem to update it! My progeny are going to think I was really angry!

Erin said...

I'm joining the conversation late, but I always liked Frances Hogsen Burnett's "A Little Princess" and the "Emily of New Moon" books. I was also a faithful journal writer for many, many years. Not so much any more. I'll have to check out Charlotte Doyle.