Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Koo Koo

Across the street from my office lies a small Mecca of food establishments. Today I ventured for a little chicken at Koo Koo Roo to satisfy my lack of breakfast and fast approaching dinner. Just before leaving, I made my way to the restroom. Before I go on, no... I didn't break any toilets... and it's not a sickening story (or sorts) either.

I walked in to find a pretty average two-stall fast-food chain restroom. One door was closed, the other open. I walked into the open stall, turned to close the door and before I could lock it I heard a very direct voice state, "UNAVAILABLE!" I stopped and thought, "Hmm, ok..." I continued to lock the door to the stall that I was in. Again I heard, "UNAVAILABLE! This bathroom is TAKEN!" Ok... so I responded hesitantly, "There are two stalls in here and I have to use the bathroom." To which this obviously upset woman said, "Why would you say that to me? Of course I know there are two stalls in here!" I was utterly confused. So I went about my business as she continued to have a one-way conversation with me that went something like this... "I'm the Koo Koo Roo grandmother. Yesterday and walked in on a woman by accident in this stall and I saw her, but I quickly closed the door. It's not like we all don't have the same parts. The mechanics are all the same. Some are just made in different shapes and sizes. Why would you say there's another stall in here? It's such a nice day out today. I brought my quilted jacket to work today, but I should have left it at home. But I'm glad I brought it because I have a meeting tonight until 9:00pm and you know it gets chilly by 9:00pm in Los Angeles. So I'm glad I brought my quilted jacket."

To all of this, I responded, "Uh huh."

I sat in my stall thinking, "Is she really talking to me? Maybe she's on the phone and I've just responded like an idiot." But no. Who talks to strangers through stall walls? I wanted to get out ASAP, but I didn't want to be accosted by this woman while washing my hands. How was I going to get out of this? She beat me to "the flush". So I waited... and waited... for a good minute-plus for her to finish washing and drying her hands... strike up a new conversation with another girl waiting for the restroom, and finally LEAVE!

I made it out alive. Koo Koo!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jessica,
That is too funny! Love,
Linda Kump

A | E said...

Yeah!
Sweet blog man.
Congrats on E!, I so miss their bagel Thursdays and aron chairs! We should get together soon.

Renee said...

YIKES!! That was koo koo. Do you really think she was the koo koo roo grandmother or an employee there of any kind? Perhaps her "meeting" was with her fifth of vodka on the corner of 1st and Figueroa?

Jessica said...

This lady was definitely not an employee or the Koo Koo Roo Grandmother. I caught a glimpse of her exiting the restaurant... She looked more like the spokeswoman for 1st and Fig.

;)